|(852) 3943 6344
Established in 1956, the Department of Chemistry remains as one of the oldest and best-equipped departments in CUHK. Currently, our professors are engaging in all branches of frontier research, including synthetic chemistry, organometallic chemistry, chemical biology, polymer chemistry, theoretical chemistry, mass spectrometry, nanochemistry, electrochemistry, etc. With our effort, we are committed to nurturing future scientists.
The Department of Chemistry provides solid training in general areas including analytical, inorganic, organic, physical and theoretical chemistry. In addition, students can choose from a wide range of elective courses according to their interest. Advanced and research-related courses are provided for students who need a solid background in chemistry for their further studies. Cross-disciplinary courses that focus on practical aspects such as forensic science, food testing, environmental analysis, pharmaceutical chemistry and coating chemistry are also available. In their final year of undergraduate study, students need to choose between problem-based learning and undergraduate thesis as a capstone project.
Experiential learning opportunities are always available to students to practice chemistry, such as:
- Local and overseas research programmes
- Internships at chemical R&D laboratories and start-ups, testing and certification companies, and local secondary schools
- Short-term visits to overseas universities
Students with satisfactory academic performance are eligible to apply for scholarships.
Our graduates' careers are highly diversified. Many of them are taking prominent positions in different sectors, including
- Secondary school principals
- Professors / lecturers in local and overseas tertiary institutions
- Chemists and forensic scientists in government laboratories
- Scientific officers in the Department of Health and Environmental Protection Department
- Senior executive officers in chemistry-related businesses and industries
- Researchers in scientific research and development sectors
MO Chulan Nikki
Other learning activities such as overseas exchange in Singapore and summer field trip to Lanzhou University are organized by the Department each year to expand students' horizons and empower themselves with various potentials. As a chemistry student in CUHK, this memorable journey is definitely a lifelong variable experience!