|(852) 3943 6344
Established in 1956, the Department of Chemistry remains as one of the largest and best-equipped departments in CUHK. Currently, our professors are engaging in all branches of frontier research areas including synthetic chemistry, organometallic chemistry, chemical biology, polymer chemistry, theoretical chemistry, mass spectrometry, laser spectroscopy, etc. With our effort, we are committed to nurturing future scientists.
The Department of Chemistry provides solid training in the traditional four areas, namely, organic, inorganic, analytical and physical chemistry. In addition, cross-disciplinary courses which focus more on practical aspects such as forensic science, food testing, environmental analysis and pharmaceutical chemistry are also available. In their final year of undergraduate study, students need to choose between problem-based learning and undergraduate thesis as a capstone project. Chemistry students should declare one of the following streams:
- Main Stream: It is designed for students to have the highest autonomy in course selection.
- Enrichment Stream: It is designed for students who need a solid background in chemistry to pursue chemistry-related or research-oriented careers. Students are required to take undergraduate thesis as the capstone project.
- Testing and Accreditation Stream: It is designed for students who are interested in establishing a career in testing and analysis. Students will be deployed to an accredited laboratory to work for 320 hours.
Experiential learning opportunities are always available to students to practice chemistry, such as:
- Local and overseas research programmes
- Internships at local secondary schools and testing laboratories
- Short-term visits to overseas universities
Students with satisfactory academic performance are eligible to apply for scholarships.
Our graduates' careers are highly diversified. Many of them are taking prominent positions in different sectors, including
- Secondary school principals
- Professors / lecturers in local and overseas tertiary institutions
- Chemists and forensic scientists in government laboratories
- Scientific officers in the Department of Health and Environmental Protection Department
- Senior executive officers in chemistry-related businesses and industries
- Researchers in scientific research and development sectors
TSUI Shu Wai
My enthusiasm for chemistry and science has been developed into an abiding passion after studying chemistry in CUHK, which I would describe as the best choice that I have ever made in my life. Apart from lectures, the Department offers field trip, overseas exchange opportunities, student-oriented teaching, problem-based learning and interdisciplinary seminars for us to integrate our knowledge and enhance our capabilities through these learning activities. The bonding among teachers and students is strongly enhanced. I participated in the Chemistry Olympiad 2018 as a member of the CUHK team, our professors and schoolmates stood by our side to support us throughout the competition. I was also glad to have studied abroad at University of Massachusetts -- Amherst in US as an exchange student. I met new friends from different countries like Lebanon and Ghana in such a culturally rich environment. The experience has opened my eyes about the other side of the world and reminded me to be a responsible global citizen!