Undergraduate research has been an integral part of our curriculum, and the Faculty of Science offers extensive research opportunities to our undergraduates who are interested in research and wish to challenge themselves. STARS is tailored for students with strong abilities and interests to acquire wider exposure and research experience during their undergraduate studies. This “add-on” stream is open for students admitted under the 4-year curriculum in 2017-18 and thereafter.
- To nurture top students to have a broader exposure in Science
- To provide a clear path and guidance for students interested in doing research
- To offer research opportunities and training in research abilities in an early stage
- To discover and develop talents among undergraduates
STARS students can:
- participate in research starting from junior year under the supervision of our professors
- have opportunities to join international conferences and seminars
- have at least 4 consecutive weeks of outgoing exposure
- have financial support for research-related outgoing exposure
- receive admission scholarship (applicable in Phase 1 only)
Students being admitted in 2017-18 and thereafter to the Faculty of Science (via SCIENCE broad-based (BSCIN) admission or programme-based admission) majoring in Biochemistry, Biology, Cell and Molecular Biology, Chemistry, Earth System Science, Environmental Science, Food and Nutritional Sciences, Mathematics, Molecular Biotechnology, Physics, or Statistics meeting the following criteria are eligible to enrol in STARS. Interview is not required.
Phase 1 (At the beginning of Year 1)
- JUPAS admittees who have obtained University Best 5 Score of 31 or above in HKDSE; OR
- JUPAS admittees who have obtained University Best 5 Score of 29 or above in HKDSE with Level 5** in at least one of the following subjects: Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics Extended Part (Module 1or 2), Physics; OR
- Non-JUPAS admittees who have obtained excellent performance in public examinations and/or international competitions (considered on a case-by-case basis)
Phase 2 (After the release of Year 1 Term 2 results)
- Obtained a Year GPA of 3.7 or above in Year 1; AND
- Obtained a GPA of 3.7 in 4 Faculty Package courses from 4 different groups
All STAR-coded courses taken will NOT be included in the calculation of the Major GPA for honours classification. Upon fulfillment of all the stream requirements as stipulated, STARS will be officially recorded on the academic transcript.
Students who would like to opt out from STARS, they can approach major programmes concerned.
Tel: (852) 3943 6264