(Offered by School of Life Sciences)
|(852) 3943 6393
Molecular biotechnology is a revolutionary scientific discipline in the 21st century that involves the application of gene and protein technology. This state-of-the-art technology has exerted remarkable contributions to human society in agricultural, health, environmental, bioenergy, and other bio-industrial areas. The Molecular Biotechnology Programme (MBTE), launched in 1998, offers courses that encompass genetic engineering and applications of biotechnology in animal, plant, microbe, medicine and the environment. The programme also addresses the business and social implications of biotechnology, such as government policy, management, intellectual property, and ethical and public concerns. In addition, an array of elective courses that cover various aspects of cell and developmental biology, animal and plant physiology, immunology and clinical biochemistry, bioinformatics, genomics and proteomics are also available to students to facilitate their overall comprehension of life sciences.
- To provide theoretical and hands-on training to students on the fundamental knowledge, current development, business and social implications of molecular biotechnology
- To cultivate the ability of logical and critical thinking, and scientific communications
- Fundamental knowledge in life sciences with emphasis on molecular biotechnology
- Hands-on skills through specially designed laboratory courses on methods in molecular biotechnology
- In-depth knowledge in selected areas of students' choice. Topics cover various aspects of challenging fields in biology & biochemistry
- Comprehensive understanding of the business and social implications of biotechnology, such as government policy, management, intellectual property, and ethical and public concerns
Ample job opportunities in business sectors, pharmaceutical industries, commercial biotechnology companies, laboratories, agriculture, law firm, education and government sectors. Graduates can also pursue postgraduate studies in overseas or local universities.
CHU Wai Kit
Assistant Professor, Department of Ophthalmology & Visual Sciences, CUHK
I am very glad to study MBTE in my bachelor's education. The knowledge and experience I gained from MBTE indeed led to some of the most amazing and life-changing opportunities including doing a D.Phil at Oxford and working as a scientist in Denmark. The trainings offered by MBTE are at the world-class standard. Connection is another key characteristic of MBTE. It is precious for MBTE graduates to be so close to each other. And for those who are joining our family, there are unlimited possibilities in your future careers. Not only restricted to biotechnology, but there are also various chances such as medicine, publication industry, legal practice and business consultancy. Welcome to MBTE!